Saturday, 5 March 2011

The crochet that stole my heart!

"Aren't they adorable?"

"Look at the colour! Aren't they just the cutest thing?"

"And those pom poms!"

I looked at the subject being discussed and agreed that they are just the cutest thang...but I'm not about to join in and squeal in high pitched voices ; I merely smiled and gushed inwardly. Had they been my mum & close friends, we would just be acting the same way.

The subject in discussion was a pair of baby booties in white with baby blue trimmings and pom poms. They had been presented to a friend who had just delivered a baby boy and everyone who saw it were admiring it. I'm sure everyone has got this thang about baby booties and what it could reduced us to (squealing, cooing and gushing adults). I remembered, when I was small, that my mum used to knit those for my little sister so I thought to myself, "It couldn't be so hard to make one of those."

I was about to find out that I was so wrong.

At home, I had a chit chat with my mum and ask her about her knitting days. She agreed that it is a very rewarding hobby and encouraged me to pursue it. My sense of interest in it increased and I thought she might be able to teach me how to knit, but alas, she had stashed away her knitting needles for so long that she probably would have to learn how to knit together with me. 

The problem with me is that once I am spurred to start something, I want to start right away and off to a local craft store me and my mum went that very afternoon to purchase some basic knitting supplies. I took a double take at the price of yarns sold at the shop but bought some anyway. Let's face it, how can I knit without a yarn, right?

So at home that night, on the bed with the laptop pulled right up to my tummy (it is on a 'breakfast in bed' small table), I slowly began to follow some online tutorial on youtube.com. I managed to follow some of the basic steps but I usually end up with a very tight 1st row that continuing the 2nd row was always too difficult. After a few days at it, coupled with the stress of trying to understand the pattern's reading, I gave up. Then it occurred to me that knitting is NOT that easy. Feeling exasperated, I stashed away all of the stuff in a box and try not to think about it.

A few months later my mum asked me, "Don't you want to give crochet a try? Pity all those unused yarns."

I gave my mum the kind of look that says 'Are you out of your mind suggesting me this?' I knew what crochet was (it was knitting with only a stick/needle...bah!) but to me, crochet was so old-fashioned and associated only with those 60s and above, whipping up dull white doilies on a daily basis, which I am soooo not! That was crochet to me, at that time.

Still, that night I found myself wandering into the WWW in hope of understanding crochet better. I was surprised to know that other than dull white doilies, you could whip up colourful hats, beautiful stylish sweaters, blankets and *gasp*...baby booties?! I have got to learn how to crochet then. 

I was determined that I would start with a beanie cap project because it's the easiest, so off again I went to the local craft store (I went past the yarn section pretending that I didn't see them...so colourful and plushy, how could you resist them?) and purchased a hook, some needles and fabric glue.

The work on the beanie project began soon after. Of course you could not expect a truly beginner like me to come up with a perfect beanie just on the first attempt. I would term my first project as a moderate success but alas, I ran out of yarn midway through! As is customary of me, I stashed the beanie cap away in the depth of my drawer...

I was keen to start on another project and this time around I told myself that I would stick by it until the end. I befriended this kind soul whose name is Ery from yarnsonlineshop.com (a fabulous online yarn store; it deserves a post on its own!) and she guided me through with my second project, a bucket hat in which the pattern was also provided by her.

On and off, it took me 2 weeks to finish what I started and here it is for your viewing pleasure... :)

 The final product that made me feel good all over, despite it not being that very neat...

And this is my little sister, modelling it for me... :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Yusriza! Mari la sama2 kita chaiyok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Chaiyok cahiyok! hehe.. glad to see Jaja is blogging xD

    ReplyDelete